Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Trying to volunteer

So at our last competition in December, I saw a team from a high school not too far from where I live. It was pretty clear that this was their first competition. They were fine, but I suspect that they have only ever cheered at football games and pep rallies and the like, and competitive cheer is quite a different beast. So the next week I called the school and left a message for the staff person who coaches them, volunteering to help. I'm not great, but I work well with kids and do know some things that might be useful. Heard nothing, so I sent a letter to follow up (the voice mail box was for the whole department, maybe she didn't get the message...). Three weeks later, and no response. At all. Which, frankly, I think is just rude.

But I spent those three weeks dreaming about what I would do as a cheer coach; how I would teach skills, how I would work with the athletes. My daughter and I have both had some amazing coaches over the past 4 years, and I've seen others at work with their teams, too. I think I would be good at this, and I'd love to share some of what I've learned.

So last night I sent an email to my local junior high school, introducing myself and offering to help them if there is a staff person around who could work with me, in starting up a cheer program. Don't know if they'll bite or not.

In the meantime, I'll keep thinking, and dreaming. Surely someone might want me?

No comments: